Author Topic: Solar panel for your van?  (Read 23 times)

Offline Geoff

• View Profile
  • My Van: Movano conversion
Solar panel for your van?
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:59:30 am »
 I used this company, brilliant products, great service and advice, no problems in over three years, I run a fridge, lights, sound system,taps, charge all my tablets and phones etc, and have always been good for power with two 85amp hour batteries,summer or winter.
Any advice just ask here.
I also run a split charge system off the alternator in tandem.

http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/43-100W-12V-dual-battery-solar-charging-kit-with-10A-controller-mounting-brackets-and-cables.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHM9lLc6GQ5-PTzOZ0zynWpfkPmb9gEIS9WW43CR-1n7sjM3FVtweTXBoCmyIQAvD_BwE

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My Van: 2015 Vivaro
Re: Solar panel for your van?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:08 am »
How is that mounted Geoff?
*** Biker & Camper Van Friendly Campsite in West Wales ***

Offline Geoff

• View Profile
  • My Van: Movano conversion
Re: Solar panel for your van?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 12:03:12 pm »
The panel I mounted on the roof with aluminium angle extrusion, I used self tapping screws and heavy adhesive, some people just use adhesive, such as sikaflex.
I was reticent of this, thinking the adhesive is only as strong as the paint it is on, unless you key it back to bare metal, that sikaflex does hold tight, and remains flexible.
There is an aluminium lip under the solar panel allowing adhesive and screws, so I all it was an easy task to fix to the extrusion.
A cable runs inside to the control unit, this has an outlet that you attach to the battery, pos + neg, if you have two batteries the charge carries over through the battery connections to the second battery.
Took me about two hours in total.

Here is the one I fitted..   http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/342-180W-12V-dual-battery-solar-kit-German-solar-cells-for-camper--boat-with-controller-and-cable.html